This girl
had a very productive week. Can you see what I did? Here I am tearing out those ceiling tiles. I believe they went up with the house in 1948 and they were holey, and drawn on, and I'm glad they're gone. Even with the mask, I still had black boogers. Before I attacked that, however, I removed the wallpaper:I really didn't want to score the wallpaper, so first I peeled of the top layer, which wasn't terribly hard. I think it only took 2 or 3 hours.
Then I took 8-ish hours to peel off the adhesive layer. I soaked each section in a 3:1 water/fabric softener solution, then it really wasn't that bad to scrape off.
Oreo did her best to help me. It was nice to have her company.
The biggest threats were on this darn south wall. That's black mold alright. Yup. My dad gave me some amazing industry-strength mold killer and some Kiltz to get rid of it. And the other problem presented itself at about 10pm on Friday night. I was up there, finishing tearing down the tiles and came across a large number of dead wasps caught in the spider webs between the insulation and tiles. I asked Mark to come up stairs and keep me company while I finished up and together we pulled and yanked at the tiles till the very end. We found about 12 little dried up mud nests within our ceiling. ew. creepy. At least now we know why we were finding 1 or 2 wasps a week just chilling in the attic and what we can do to prevent it this and all following summers.So now the attic is naked. The carpet, of course, will be staying down until I'm finished painting the walls and ceiling. Then I'll remove it and paint the floor boards (carefully).
My plans for this week include installing new insulation-contact recessed lighting cans, consider installing a third one, for better lighting and more electrical practice, and put up as much of the dry wall as I can. Since it's just me most of the time, I don't really know how much of that will get done. Poor Mark's always at work or school. Then in 2 weeks, I'll get all the mudding done and change out all the electrical outlets the previous owners painted over.
I've got my work cut out for me but I'm having fun. I feel empowered with every accomplishment. I'm already laughing at it now, but as I was finishing up my last little bit of wallpaper removal, I started talking to myself about being so good, I could probably build my own house. Yeah...no.
2 comments:
Molly this is AMAZING! you did so much work! Wow... I'm getting you a tool belt for your birthday!
Wow Molly! you really are amazing!! i am pretty dang impressed!! can't wait to see the finished project!
Post a Comment